Ratting them out

Rodent pesticides, how they work and how to treat accidental pet toxicity

Rat bait is effective in controlling our rodent outbreaks. Unfortunately, it may also unintentionally harm our pets and wildlife unless we take precautions. Rat bait works by preventing the blood from clotting (as it contains an anticoagulant). If blood is unable to clot, uncontrolled bleeding occurs and can be fatal.


What symptoms would I notice if rat bait ingestion has occurred?
Rat bait toxicity can go unnoticed as symptoms may not show for several days after ingestion. However, obvious signs can include:
•Pale gums (indicate blood loss)
•Red urine (indicating blood)
•Nose bleeding
•Wounds that continuously bleed
•Lethargy or weakness
•Breathing trouble

How is rat bait ingestion treated?
An antidote fortunately exists! A course of Vitamin K is given to assist in blood coagulation (clotting). If ingestion is suspected, please contact us or your emergency veterinarian immediately in order induce vomiting and rid the toxin before damage can occur. A blood transfusion may also be required in extreme cases.


Best way to keep my pets safe? Prevention!
- Always supervise pets that like to explore
- Keep pets on lead, use a basket muzzle on dogs that are known to scavenge
- Only keep rat bait in areas that are impossible for your pet to access
- Use alternatives to rat bait such as traps